Pittsburgh, PA – DRS Architects: DRS Architects has promoted 5 new principals.
DRS Architects, a leading Pittsburgh architecture, planning and interior design firm, is pleased to announce the promotion of five new Principals. Paul Cali, AIA; Scott Hazlett, AIA; Jon Funari, AIA; Tobie Nepo, IIDA; Gretchen Zetler, IIDA have been promoted as Principals and will continue their leadership through design excellence, strong client focus and sustainable design.
The 59 year old firm of DRS Architects is best known for taking on and resolving complex challenges with award winning results. Engaging projects for the Department of Energy, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, PA Department of General Services State Police DNA Laboratory, Cranberry Doubletree and Slippery Rock University follow on the firm’s precedent projects in government, healthcare, laboratory, hospitality and higher education.
DRS Architects has announced new owners as follows:
• Paul Cali, AIA-Paul joined DRS Architects in 2007 and has led the firm’s design through such successful projects as Thelma Lovette YMCA on Centre Avenue, Nemacolin Woodlands Ski Lodge and the North Fayette Township Community Center. Paul has provided leadership through thoughtful Master Planning and design for Slippery Rock University, Edinboro University and an exciting new plan for significant upgrades to athletic facilities at Duquesne University. Paul is a graduate of Lafayette College and The University of Pennsylvania and an award winning designer completing the Staten Island Ferry Terminal while with a prior firm. Paul is an avid gardener and lives in the Lawrenceville area of Pittsburgh. Paul serves on the foundation board of Thelma Lovette YMCA and supports their mission to strengthen local communities.
• Jon Funari, AIA-joined DRS Architects in 2013 and has since led a variety of projects, including a comprehensive facilities condition assessment of over 70 buildings for the Department of Energy/NETL at the Pittsburgh and Morgantown campuses and an historic property study for the Albany campus of NETL. He is currently in charge of the design and construction documents for the new Pennsylvania State Police DNA Analysis Laboratory in Greensburg. During his career, Jon’s work has won numerous awards and citations for design excellence and historic preservation. He has a diverse portfolio of projects in higher education, government, high-design retail, residential, and historic preservation. He is a graduate of the University of Virginia and Arizona State University. Jon enjoys commuting to work on his bicycle and admiring the great city of Pittsburgh.
• Scott Hazlett, AIA, ACHA, EDAC-Scott joined DRS Architects in 2014 to reinvigorate a longstanding DRS specialty in healthcare. Focusing on health facilities in this region, Scott has developed relationships with many area hospitals, particularly through UPMC at Children’s Hospital but also at Presbyterian, Montefiore, McKeesport, East, Passavant, St. Margaret’s and other UPMC outpatient facilities. Other healthcare clients include Excela Health, Ohio Valley Hospital, East Liverpool City Hospital, Alliance Community Hospital, Armstrong County Memorial Hospital, and the senior living communities of Strabane Woods and Strabane Trails. He is a 1981 graduate of Kent State University. Scott serves on the Pediatric Cardiology Auxiliary of the Children’s Hospital Foundation and is an avid golfer and excels at skeet shooting.
• Tobie Nepo, IIDA, LEED AP ID+C-who has anchored the firm’s practice of interior design for nearly twenty years, focusing on higher education, healthcare, and government design. Committed to sustainability, she has worked with clients to achieve LEED certification on multiple projects. Tobie has completed significant projects for the North and Allegheny Campuses of the Community College of Allegheny County, Slippery Rock University, the University of Pittsburgh Salk Hall, Duquesne University and other area institutions of higher learning. The PNC YMCA at Market Square and the USX YMCA demonstrate her expertise with health and wellness facilities that meet client goals and exceed their expectations. Tobie is currently engaged at Children’s Hospital developing creative therapy spaces for those children under treatment. Her expertise has also been demonstrated at North Fayette Community Center, the Port Authority of Allegheny County, the Department of Energy and other governmental clients. Tobie is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati.
• Gretchen Zetler, IIDA-joined DRS Architects in 2013 and is an interior design graduate of La Roche College. She has had a significant career in corporate design and has completed projects in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Washington, DC, Alexandria VA and Miami FL, among other locales. Since joining DRS Architects she has completed work in office, hospitality, higher education and healthcare design. Corporate clients include Oxford Development, BNY Mellon and Excel4Apps. Gretchen has led renovations to conference facilities for diverse clients such as Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa and BNY Mellon. Currently Gretchen is working in healthcare, developing renovations to food service, conference, office and other public spaces. She is a member of the Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) of Pittsburgh.
Current principals S. Philip Hundley, AIA; Greg Madej, AIA, LEED AP BD+C; and Kathryn Jolley, MBA, ASID, LEED AP will continue as Senior Principals making this the seventh major ownership transition for DRS Architects.